- Via Umbria is celebrating all things frosty for the end of summer at their cooking class on Tuesday, August 29th. The class id featuring authentic Italian alternatives to ice cream, yum!
- $20 Cheese Night? Yes, please! ANXO Cider Maker, Gregory Johnson will be pairing three ciders with three Spanish cheeses and discussing the relationship each cider and cheese creates on the palate. Check it out this Wednesday, August 30th.
- A Winery is opening IN THE DISTRICT! District Winery is opening this Wednesday, August 30th at 385 Water St. SE in the Navy Yard. But, you can check out an early viewing of the place thanks to the DCist.
- The National Library of Congress National Book Fair is back again! It is all day Saturday, September 2nd. This year it will feature more than 175 award-winning authors, illustrators and poets who will talk about and sign their books. Learn more about author talks, timing, events, and giveaways on their website.
- The Labor Day Weekend music festival is back this weekend, kicking off Friday, September 1st. Featuring performances by local musical artists in a variety of genres, including jazz, pop, rock, folk and more. Admission is free and it lasts all weekend. More details here.
- There’s going to be a bonus Truckeroo this summer! Due to overwhelming demand, it’ll make one last appearance at the Bullpen on Friday, September 2nd.
Check out these events before they’re gone!
- The Hive is closing, this is your last chance to experience the Building Museum’s summer installation!
- The final weekend for ‘XYZT: Abstract Landscapes’ is this weekend, so head there to experience the oddity.
- The Phillips Collection is celebrating the final weekend of ‘Markus Lüpertz’ traces the artist’s career from the 1960s to the present, showcasing his innovative “dithyrambic” picture style and innovative paintings of German motifs. If you can’t make this date, the Hirshhorn has a similar (but smaller) exhibition of his works on view until September 10th.
- The final Truckeroo of the season is Friday. Check it out for one last day of food-truck heaven.
News around the District…
Some buzz we think you might want to know about.
- If you work on the Mall, we have some good news! RiceBarDC has joined the meager food offerings in the Capital Gallery building on Maryland Ave (and it is REALLY cute).
- Donburi has opened its 2nd Location on 19th Street!
- Feeling bored with your daily foodtruck routine? Check out EaterDC’s collection of new must-try foodtrucks. And, if you’re like us and like to plan, don’t forget to check out the handy-dandy Food Truck Fiesta.
- The Purple Line might actually be a thing…finally. The goundbreaking is reportedly this Monday.
- Quick public safety alert…a D.C. attorney general wants federal judges to look at city’s strict gun rules again. Read more about the possibility of actually changing DC’s strict gun laws here. But, don’t worry just yet…DC doesn’t seem to be leaning towards being gun-friendly any time soon.