Since August started, you’ve probably heard at least one person mention “Mercury in Retrograde”…but what the hell does that mean?
First off, it’s important to know when it is. This most recent one began in early August 2017, and will end September 5th. So, you have just a few more weeks left to blame any weirdness Mercury.
Okay, now that we’ve covered when it ends let’s talk a little bit about why people freak out about it.
Basically, it is an astrological event that occurs roughly 3-4 times a year. When Mercury is in retrograde, because of earth’s position, it has the appearance of moving “backwards” in the sky. For hundreds of year, this time of year has been linked to confusion, delay, and frustration. Hot tip? Wait until Mercury is direct again to make any final and/or important decisions.
According to Bustle, “The turbulence and disruption Mercury creates when it retrogrades can affect what we feel on Earth in our everyday lives.”
When Mercury is in retrograde, it’s basically saying “bye” to all of its earthly responsibilities. Why? Well, Mercury is the ruler of communication, coding, shipping, and travel, and other communication/understanding issues. So, a lot can go awry when the planet is retrograde, causing lots of issues in our daily lives.
Quick guide to how it affects the different signs (gotten from the Almanac):
- “IN AQUARIUS (January 20–February 19): With Mercury retrograde in Aquarius, the sign that governs relationships, friendships are put at risk. Petty squabbles, misunderstandings, and miscommunications abound. Know who your friends are.”
- “IN PISCES (February 20–March 20): Foggy thinking, daydreams, and escapism are
the norm; day-to-day realities confound otherwise clear heads
when Mercury, the planet that rules logic, is in Pisces, which governs illusion. Practice creative pursuits—writing, dancing, photography, film, or painting.”
- “IN ARIES (March 21–April 20): Expect to be frustrated and frazzled. Assertive,
impulsive Aries wants to move ahead, and all of the energy is going backward. Watch what you say and how you say it. Pay attention to what people say to you; you might be pleasantly surprised.”
- “IN TAURUS (April 21–May 20): Take time to formulate your thoughts. Taurus, an unhurried sign, slows down the mental processes. He also governs banking, so delay money matters. Review financial matters, and position yourself for growth.”
- “IN GEMINI (May 21–June 20): Because Gemini rules communications, be prepared for miscommunications when Mercury is in this sign. Expect lots of phone calls or none, and lost or misplaced mail. You may not articulate clearly, and gossip abounds. Old friends may reconnect.”
- “IN CANCER (June 21–July 22): Expect annoyances at home with baking, gardening, and household duties under domesticated Cancer. Complete repair projects that weren’t finished or done correctly.”
- “IN LEO (July 23–August 22): Avoid speculative investments. It is not a good time to buy and sell or do any trading. Instead, analyze your investment portfolio. Use your know-how and advisory skills to help friends and associates.”
- “IN VIRGO (August 23–September 22): Challenging situations arise, especially in the workplace. Expect product delays and equipment breakdowns, as well as crankiness among coworkers under finicky, detail-oriented Virgo. Double-check your work before you call it finished.”
- “IN LIBRA (September 23–October 22): Accept your physical attributes; do not have a makeover. Indecision reigns, so limit purchases—or risk returning them. Libra, representing beauty, grace, charm, and diplomacy, is out of balance. Refresh, relax, and rejuvenate.”
- “IN SCORPIO (October 23–November 22): Emotions rule—not common sense—so beware. Avoid affairs of the heart. Passionate Scorpio is also secretive, and your secrets may seep out. Keep them in a diary.”
- “IN SAGITTARIUS (November 23–December 21): It is not a time to travel, so reschedule or expect delays, lines, and lost directions. Instead, take care of local affairs. Patience and a sense of humor are needed.”
- “IN CAPRICORN (December 22–January 19): Avoid buying, selling, or renting real estate under Capricorn, the sign that governs property matters. Expect problems with paperwork, packing, and movers. Reunite with family or vacation at home.”
The feature image is from NASA, and is liscensed for use under the public domain